Tuesday, April 29, 2008

My New Challenge

I've been reading a blog called "The Daily Cheapskate" and blogs related to it. I've decided to try for one week not to buy lunch or dinner and not be wasteful by overcooking meals.

I feel good about yesterday and today so far. I'm eating whats in the fridge from the weekend. No more cooking binges either where I freeze 44 meals at once. I've found that we really get tired of the prepared food and we let it linger and it goes to waste. So fresh food daily, by careful planning, and eating up leftovers will stretch the food budget a long way.

I went to the organic food store this weekend and needed wheat bran flakes (which I sneak into my home made breads to up the fiber content) and for the package I usually pay $1.49 for in the grocery store I bought it loose and paid - get this - $.17. I paid for it with a quarter. How funny is that!

I'm also walking at lunchtime to do non-perishable shopping so I'm cutting down driving to the grocery store at least once a week by doing this and it lets me compare the different store prices.

Geez, I had to wait until I was 52 to figure this all out. I coulda been rich I tell ya.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wheat Bran gives you gas....